In July 2009, the Umzi Wethu hospitality academy extended its operations with the opening of its Catering Unit. Based in Port Elizabeth, in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, the self-sustaining Catering Unit employs between three and five Umzi Wethu hospitality graduates on its staff and caters for various private and corporate events in the city. In its first year, turnover exceeded R800 000.
The highly skilled catering team (graduates from the Umzi Wethu Hospitality unit), offers a full range of services, for all types of functions including menu planning, high quality meal catering and event management.
To date, the Catering Unit has successfully:
• Catered for executive lunches
• Catered for multi-day workshops
• Produced over 50 000 lunch packs for learners
• Catered for life skills programmes in local townships
• Catered for sporting events
• Catered over 1200 meals for adult training workshops
• Catered for various Private Functions