Across our first 5 intakes, Umzi Wethu has placed 95% of graduates in paying jobs or internships in the eco-tourism and hospitality industry – 85% of our graduates remain employed today. This is made possible through the generous support of our funders and student supporters.
You are invited to invest in a life changing year for our future students – to invest in their future, to create positive ambassadors amidst a shocking reality. At present, statistics suggest that there are over 800 000 orphans and vulnerable youth in South Africa, including 88 000 child-headed households. These young people are facing hardship through force of circumstance, not lack of talent or ingenuity.
We are already planning new intakes for 2012 and will require:
- R85,000 per student (x20) for Professional Cookery programme
- R75,000 per student (x20) for Field Ranger programme
This funding allows the Wilderness Foundation to deliver the quality, holistic intervention which ensures that our graduates are fully equipped to enter the workplace. This support covers all costs of student involvement, from selection through to graduation and assistance with job placement.
- Selection trails
- Accommodation for duration of studies
- Three meals per day
- Weekly allowance for toiletries
- Basic clothing and linen
- 24 hour residential supervision/housemothers
- Program management and support
- Three wilderness trails per intake
- Nationally accredited certificates
- All theory & practical training
- Field trips and outings
- Work uniforms
- Graduation ceremony
- Basic health care
- Ongoing life skills workshops (personal growth, health, communication skills, employability)
- Adult mentoring
Social Outreach Programme
- Through their involvement at Umzi Wethu, our students reach out to over 1000 school learners and out of school youth through our comprehensive student outreach programme.
- Families of students receive regular contact with the program including food parcels and important wellness interventions.
For more information on supporting our students in this way, please contact
(Executive Director, WF) or
(Program Director: Social Programs).